Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to an Operating Session!

So...here we were. Chris and I driving over to Howie's place for his train ops session with the dark rainclouds covering the city. "Why don't we take this route," I suggest to Chris. "It'll take us by the trainyards. We can check out what's on the headend of VIA bound for Montreal (East) and Toronto (West). It's not even out of our way to Howie's...in fact, it's a shortcut to his area of town!"

Well, horseshoes of horseshoes! Just as we round the bend in our approach to the station tracks, the setting sun falls below the cloudline basking the entire station in that warm glow of brilliant orange.

"Hurry, Chris..." I call out...over to the western parking lot...I should be able to capture a shot of the Toronto bound train.
Knowing I have maybe three minutes at most in my race against the sun, I haul out my tripod and attach the camera to it while the car is still on the move. I can see by Chris's railfan experiences that he is eyeing possible photo leads even before he parks the car...but no time for that tonight. Just a quick shot through the chainlink fence! (You don't want to know about our alternatives, believe me!")

So here we have it...two "imprisoned" railfans laughing their heads off as the shot is taking through the "prison" fence. Too bad it wasn't one of those dasterdly painted locos! (In fact, the Montreal bound train had the green Telus unit on the headend...but a photo of that ugly puppy would not be warranted in the time allowed.)

I kinda like the first shot where the three "diamonds" of the chainlike fence focus on the front of the unit and the words VIA on the locomotive and first car. Not the greatest shots, but lots of fun anyway!

Cheers, Mike & Chris.

3 comments:

Chris Lyon said...

Hi Mike. That was a hoot. The round orange ball sure put a different tone on that VIA gold and green. I think you took me that way just to compensate your mental state given your Sens were finally being waxed by the speedsters from North Tonawanda (Buffalo). The Jefferson avenue tough guys made you say things I am sure you will have to go to confession for. Thanks again for the trees. Hope to see the operating session shots soon.

Steve Watson said...

Mike,
Nice shots of the VIA. I like those new engines. And you inspired me to get off my duff and finally post about our encounter wih the HCR last fall on my poor neglected little blog:
http://algomanorthland.blogspot.com/2006/05/freight-train-leapfrog-it-was-sunny_07.html

Ken King said...

Hi guys. take a look at my latest post at;

www.kootenaywestern.blogspot.com

if you want to see VIA P42's at Ottawa and Tronna without the chainlink effect ;-)

About Chris's comments re; Sens and Sabres...looks like my Oilers are in over their heads with that bunch from Raleigh...sob!

Ken da hogger guy from Edmonton AB.